Avon Azaro for the ZRX

scan
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Avon Azaro for the ZRX

#1 Unread post by scan »

I returned from being out of town for a week and picked my bike up at the shop where I had them spoon on a pair of new tires. I had been very happy with the performance of my previous tires, the Continental Road Attacks. They were very sticky tires, but they did not have the life that I had expected. They were expressed as being a tire with a harder center and softer sides for cornering. I agree, but the squared sooner than I planned, so now Avon gets a shot. I'll try to throw a few words about these tires as I use them, but here is my initial feeling.

These tires have a nice tread pattern and seem more appropriate for touring since the conditions could include rain many times. They are also reported to be hard in the middle and soft on the sides, and I can see that so far in the first 100 miles. I have never been a hard sport rider anyway, so my chicken strips are plenty fat. I tour on this bike more than carve with it anyway, and need the middle to last longer than the Conti's did.

I have done some relatively spirited rides following the initial scrubbing of the tires, and felt it held on to the angles I'm willing to take. Wear and tear will take some time to determine, but on a few hard take offs, and hard stops the stuck as well as the previous tires.

I think these may not be ideal for a super sporty rider, but they are fine for most average riders, and I'll try to keep you all informed as I wear through them.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

scan

#2 Unread post by scan »

Almost 1000 miles have been added to these tires since the last report. I have nothing bad to say about them. They are plenty sticky for me and the wear seems minimal so far. I see no squaring and I have been keeping after the pressure to keep the tire at or near spec PSI. I did some riding two up on the ZRX with my new tires and they felt great. Always planted. They also worked well in a rain storm I rode through, but it was on the freeway, so it was hardly a test.

More as time passes.
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

scan

#3 Unread post by scan »

Up to around 5000 miles now on these tires and the appear still to be in pretty good shape. Squaring is not obvious and I think another 5000 miles seems realistic. They have continued to stick well enough for me as well and the wet riding performance is as good as I've had on the bike. If they do last as long as I believe they will, at this point, I would buy another set of the same.

scan

#4 Unread post by scan »

Well, I ended up around 8000 miles and replaced the rear only. The front stayed in pretty good shape. I stuck a new Azaro on the rear, but it apears that they may not be around by the time I do the next change. We'll see. This year seems like it will be a low milage year, so I might make it through two season on these. With gas prices so high, and money being thin this year, I'll do what I can just to keep the bike running.