kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

Review: Alpinestars SMX-3 Boots

#1 Unread post by kabob983 »

I managed to pick up a pair of black Alpinestars SMX-3 Boots off of a Newenough ebay auction pretty cheap. They arrived in the traditional Alpinestars box and I threw 'em on. The sizing is pretty accurate for the boot. I ordered 1/2 a size up thinking that they'd be snug, but I'd probably have been better off sticking to my shoe size.

Construction seems to be quite solid (I'd expect no less from Alpinestars). Zippers are sturdy and stitching is good. Toe sliders are pretty easy to change as well.

Looks-wise I'd say they are reasonably attractive. I like the look MUCH more than the new SMX-4 boots. No shiny metal heel like the SMX-Plus and Supertech though.

Like any racing-style boot they are pretty stiff when new. It will take a while to brake them in but trust me, it can be done. The leather will loosen up and make it easier to walk.

First thing I noticed is that zipping the beasts can be hard, especially if your pants are tucked in to the boots (if not, you'll probably be alright). In the traditional Alpinestars fashion, they zip most of the way up and then the front half and back half velcro together on top of that. Once completed the boots fit quite securely. They seem to be designed for having pants tucked into them though. They fit a little loose without either thick socks, big calves, or pants tucked in. To correct this you have to tighten the top quite a bit, which makes the velcro stick out at the bottom. It's hard to explain, but I'll try. To tighten them you have to pull the front-top part of the velcro further down and back. When you do this, at the bottom of where the velcro is (just below where your heel would be) the side of the boot is puched out (as the velcro isn't connecting) a bit, which I have found can easily get caught ony our shifter or rear brake. I'm still looking for a solution for this, as this has caused an unplaned shift more than once! Once again, if you tuck your pants into the boots though this probably wouldn't be a problem at all.

Anyways, once on they're actually quite comfortable. They have a few vents to let air get to your foot, although as expected they're still pretty hot. Armor on the boot is well placed, covering all the major areas. The toe sliders are replaceable so if you scuff 'em up a bit it's no problem.

On the bike they feel pretty good as well. The shift pad gives you a bit of feel for the shifter, and the soles are thin. The heel is short yet tall enough to give a great place to rest the boot on your pegs. The toe is quite tall, I wish it was a bit shorter so you wouldn't have to drop your toe as far to get around your shifter for an upshift.

Overall I really like the boots, my only gripes being that (like most boots of this type) they are pretty hot, are made more for the pants being tucked in, and they have a tall toe. While I've not been down in them I feel that they will probably do a pretty good job of keeping my foot intact. I'd reccomend anyone looking for boots for sport touring or racing, they may be a little overkill for the around the town commute!

(sorry, but I was a bit rushed, so if there's bad spelling or grammar, you have my apologies!
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by keysman »

Thanks kabob for the great review! That's what this forum is all about.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#3 Unread post by kabob983 »

Finding no solution other than tucking my pants into my S-MX 3's, I was a bit bummed. Then today while piddling around on Ebay I found a pair of like new S-MX Plus boots and nabbed them for $61! (not bad for a pair of $280 boots!). So I'll see if these work any better. I may keep the S-MX 3's as well as the Plus' is a straight up racing boot, might be a bit much for normal street riding!

The only thing about my new boots is that the toe sliders are a bit worn (the old owner used them for track days, and apparently is a bit more adept at leaning than I am :P) so I need some new toe sliders. While browsing around I found that Alpinestars makes Magnesium toe sliders that are supposed to last a good bit longer, so I think I may invest in a pair and put them on!

Being that the old owner lives in Tuscaloosa (about 45 miles from here) I figure the boots should be here in a day or two.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!