kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

Review: HJC AC-12 *now crash tested!*

#1 Unread post by kabob983 »

I bought an HJC AC-12 the other day and while I've not had it on my head much, I just want to comment on the fact that it is probably the second most comfortable helmet I've ever had on my noggin (the first being the Arai RX-7 Corsair, which costs 4 1/2 times what I paid for this helmet). I've tried on Shoei's and Suomy's and the like, this one just fits like a champ! More comfortable on my head than the X-11 or Spec-1R, both of which are in the same price range as the RX-7. Not that my head is going to be shaped the same as other people's, but if you are looking for a new helmet I'd highly suggest you go try one on!

Also, the new shield release system is great! It shouldn't take you more than 20 seconds or so to swap shields on the new system. Just open it all the way, pull a tab back on one side, pull back on the other side, remove shield, open one tab and put edge of shield in, open other tab and put other edge of shield in, and you're done. That's probably pretty standard for most lids nowadays but this one's tabs are both accessible and secure. Also, having a button to lock the shield closed is a nice touch, although maybe a bit overkill.

The helmet is pretty well ventilated although it's not been blistering hot enough and I've not ridden long enough with it yet to truely test it. Wind noise is noticible but not awful. I'd still suggest earplugs.

Appearance-wise this is the nicest looking helmet that I've seen HJC put out. Aggressive and sleek. I got the "El-Diablo" color scheme which looks quite nice. But I'm more of a function than appearance kind of guy myself.

I'll add more as I break it in more!
Last edited by kabob983 on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by keysman »

Thanks for the info. I'm done buying expensive helmets. I had an Arai and my second and current helmet is a Nolan / X-Lite. It's a great helmet and I got it for $99.00. The problem is, it's a little bit too snug in the forhead area. I have been using it for about a year but on longer rides it becomes irritating. I'll have to try on one of the new HJCs and see how they fit.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

Phat_J
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by Phat_J »

IRT #1

I have the same helmet and I love it so far.
2006 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by kabob983 »

keysman wrote:I'll have to try on one of the new HJCs and see how they fit.
Try it. I didn't really like the feel of the AC-11, but the AC-12 just fits my melon like a glove! Very cooshy, but still tight all the way around (but not overly so).

I've added a few more miles to it, still very happy with my purchase!

Oh, and I found a use for the visor lock. Try going down a track or road at any decent speed. Now turn around to see if anyone's behind you (no mirrors on the track) and see just how well your helmet's locking system works :P My buddy's visor went flying open and when he faced forward it slammed shut again. The power of wind. With the visor lock this problem isn't an issue. For normal road riding though it's probably a bit unnecessary!

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by kabob983 »

Hehe, apparently someone saw this review and thought I was trying to sell my helmet. Just got an email asking what my price was :P

I will highly reccomend it though, go to your local shop and try one on. If you like it then by all means, get it!

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

avoidalliteration
Veteran
Veteran

Review

#6 Unread post by avoidalliteration »

Here's a review from WebBikeWorld to supplement kabob's recommendation =)

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by kabob983 »

Now that I've had it on my head for a while I can give an update on the helmet:

The anti-fog faceshield it came with really works quite well. I’ve ridden in the rain, fog, nighttime, etc with no fog problems at all. I’ve still not gotten to test it in the cold, but considering how well it’s held up so far I feel that it will probably do its job.

I also enjoy how you can keep the face shield securely opened in different positions. Fully open, fully closed, with two or three positions in between. I’ve come to enjoy having the shield slightly cracked open. It keeps most objects out of my face but allows for a little air to hit me in the face.

While the ventilation works pretty well it could be better. On longer rides I find my head being a tad bit on the warm side. The helmet can be noisy at times depending on your speed and riding position, but it's not overbearing. I'd say for highway riding or track riding though you'll definately want earplugs!

The helmet comes with an extra attachment that is supposed to prevent air from coming up into the helmet from below. This works pretty well also, although I think I’ll take it off and see if it helps keep me a little cooler. My only gripe about this attachment is that it’s made of softer plastic and gets bent out of shape quite easily. I don’t really think it affects the functionality of the helmet, but it does make it look a bit…odd. Once again though this really isn’t a necessary accessory, but it is a nice bonus.

The helmet still feels great on my head. The padding is in just the right places to keep the helmet feeling comfy.

Once again I highly endorse this helmet for anyone looking for a sharp looking, comfortable, yet affordable helmet. It feels almost as good as my favorite helmet that costs several times the amount of this helmet (the legendary Arai RX-7 Corsair) and I’m sure it will last quite a while!

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Crash testing my helmet (not by choice...)

#8 Unread post by kabob983 »

Thanks to "the bump" and a patch of gravel I have not crash tested this helmet! This was also an opportune time to test out my brand new leathers.

I went on a long (242 mile) ride last weekend and on the way back we stopped to get gas. The woman leading the ride warned us: "on the way back there is a 'bump' in the road and if you don't slow down and take it easy you will go off of your bike." Thanks for the advice!

So we're heading back and there is alot of reeeeeeeeally slow traffic on the road (labor day weekend). So we start passing cars on double yellow lines and everyone gets past the front set of cars except my bud and I. He's been riding alot longer than I have and he's been on that road several time but even he forgot to look for "the bump." I'd never been there so I didn't know what I was looking for. All of the sudden I see his brake light flash on as he hits the brakes hard. It's a downhill right hander and there is a truck pulling out right in front of us. Target fixation at it's best! He throws himself into a full counter steer and is almost dragging his knee pucks (I convinced him to wear his leathers that day). Well, I'm watching the truck instead of the road and I hit the bump...WHAM, I'm starting to lose control. Wow, a perfectly placed patch of gravel...now I'm skipping across the ground.

My head took a pretty good knock as I lowsided and my knee and elbow got a bit scratched (friction of the leathers on the skin) but other than that there were no injuries. The helmet is a bit scratched up on the chinbar but other than a very minor headache I was fine. I got up and almost started laughing. Cars are driving by and yelling ARE YOU OK, DO YOU NEED AN AMBULANCE! I promised them I was fine, heck, even my bike was fine. The plastics were already a bit beat up and this didn't really do much more to them. My forks were ever so slightly off center but that cost me a whopping $20 to fix.

The helmet did it's job great. I talked to a helmet guy and he says it's still safe to use in fact. I may buy another just in case (might go back to my Vemar VSR, which was also a great helmet with a much softer core!) I'd much rather have not crashed but they say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and I think I learned a good bit from my endevors.

I got back on and rode about 50-60 miles back home. I even got one of the biggest joys of my life seeing Mark, a 74 year old guy who's been riding for...probably over 50 years (an excellent rider!) jump on a new '06 GSX-R750 and ride the heck out of it. When he stopped he yelled "Wow, this is a 750? Who the hell needs a 1000!" Nothing cracks you up like seeing a grandfather figure ride a supersport like there's no tomrrow!

So once again I'll highly endorse the HJC AC-12. It did it's job admirably, is extremely comfortable to wear, and looks very sharp when atop your noggin.

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by jonnythan »

My head took a pretty good knock
it's still safe to use
Glad you're OK.

No, it's not.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#10 Unread post by ofblong »

once a helmet is hit 1x it is no longer safe to use. even if you drop your helmet from a height of your waste that helmet is no longer safe to use. The anti fog shield does not work in cold weather unless you are doing over 35mph. I know cause I rode the other day and it was 42 degrees outside :D. You also dont need to push back the release when putting your new shield on. If your clip is not staying back when you removed your shield then it is defective. that spring should stay depressed until you push the new shield in. I know cause I have that same helmet :D.

glad your are ok from your accident.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]