Starting out, gear?

ziggystardust
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Starting out, gear?

#1 Unread post by ziggystardust »

I need some recomendations for gear: aka, gloves, helmet, jacket/ pants, and boots.

With so many brands for gear, and especially Helmets, which is the most important part, I dont know where to start.

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#2 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

Start with a helmet. Go to some places that sell them. Don't look at the price tags and try to avoid picking any by color. Just start trying them on until you find the best fit.

Beyond that, it's going to come down to the protection level you can afford and the styles that suit your personally.

Good Luck!

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#3 Unread post by kabob983 »

Yeah, he's right, go for fit, although honestly most people will have to take price into account (at least I did) when buying a helmet. Luckily for me though alot of the cheaper helmets fit great (HJC and Arai were probably my two best fits).

I highly suggest checking out the HJC AC-11/AC-12, as they have alot of great features and come at a lower price than others. Make SURE you get a helmet that was built relitavely recently. You need to replace your helmet every 5 years, and at a local shop I saw helmets that were built in '01 still on the shelf. The build date should be listed somewhere inside the helmet (often on the chin strap or chin bar, but it may be somewhere else).

As for the other gear, I'd stick with reputable brands. Tour Master makes good gear, as does Alpinestars. Those are probably my two favorite (with the Alpinestars being more sporty). Joe Rocket and Teknic I'd put a little behind these two, with Icon below that.
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

danial_1970
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by danial_1970 »

well as the others have said get a good equipment price should not be a issue. If you are looking for a name brand the will make you look hip or anything ask the fellow riders in your area they will let you know what is hot and what is not but dont skimp on the cost becauae I dont know about you but there is now amount of money that can replace my body.....
And that is what you got to think about what is going to keep you alive and keep the skin on your body.

For me it is a helmet, strong leather jacket, gloves, jeans with leather chaps over them and a good pair of all leather boots. the only thing that I might not always were in my chaps and that is only when I ride around town when I know I will not be traeling over 30mph.....

And that is all I got to say about that.
My credo in which I live and work by.....
If I do not speak my mind when I am able, death provides ample time for silence.( Gen. Knyphauser Oct 4,1777)

danial_1970
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by danial_1970 »

well as the others have said get a good equipment price should not be a issue. If you are looking for a name brand the will make you look hip or anything ask the fellow riders in your area they will let you know what is hot and what is not but dont skimp on the cost becauae I dont know about you but there is now amount of money that can replace my body.....
And that is what you got to think about what is going to keep you alive and keep the skin on your body.

For me it is a helmet, strong leather jacket, gloves, jeans with leather chaps over them and a good pair of all leather boots. the only thing that I might not always were in my chaps and that is only when I ride around town when I know I will not be traeling over 30mph.....

And that is all I got to say about that.
My credo in which I live and work by.....
If I do not speak my mind when I am able, death provides ample time for silence.( Gen. Knyphauser Oct 4,1777)