Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Howling along on Yamaha's MT-01

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Howling along on Yamaha's MT-01
Wild power cruiser screams testosterone Huge torque catapults bike out of the corners
Thanks to the Toronto Star - thestar.com - May 13, 2006 - Written by STEVE BOND

Take the 1670 cc, air-cooled, torque-monster engine from Yamaha's Warrior power cruiser, surround it with a sporty aluminum frame, massive male-slider forks, radial front brake calipers, underseat exhausts and a sporting riding position, and you've got the MT-01.

Nothing else on the market screams "testosterone" like the MT-01's muscular posture — just one glance sends your pulse racing and causes you to howl at the moon.

Swing a leg over and notice the huge analog tachometer housing the digital speedometer and warning lights. The sporty riding position has you leaning forward over the almost-flat tubular handlebar. The pegs are high and somewhat rear-set, but the tall, 825 mm seat still allows plenty of legroom.

The titanium exhaust (with catalytic converter and Yamaha's EXUP valve that enhances torque) serpentines its way up under the subframe, culminating in two howitzers stuffed under the seat. The throaty exhaust note is raucous but not obnoxious; I wonder how Yamaha ever snuck it by the decibel Nazis. The titanium mufflers are the first ever fitted on a non-sportbike.

My press unit originally showed less than 300 km, which explained the slightly spongy brakes. But the 320 mm discs and four-pot radial calipers quickly bedded in, providing state-of-the-art stopping power with impressive feel and feedback. Both brake and clutch levers are five-position adjustable to fit any size paw.

Another feature that improved with break-in was fuel economy. After I ran the first tank through, I thought, "Uh-oh. Big engine plus enthusiastic right wrist equals teeny mileage."

But as I racked up the distance, I could feel the engine loosening up and a couple of tanks returned an incredibly reasonable 5.3L /100 km during an early spring foray to Prince Edward County.

The 15-litre tank should give a reasonable range, and the comfortable seat means your buns won't force you to stop for gas before you have to.

The superslab is not really the MT's forte, although cruising at 100 km/h shows a boringly relaxed 2300 r.p.m. on the tach. Unfortunately, there's a harmonic vibration that blurs the mirrors right at the 100 km/h mark. There are no tingly hands and feet that accompany this — just blurred mirrors.

So, you can bore yourself at 95 (yeah, right) or cruise at 110 if you feel lucky. Just keep in mind that a motorcycle that looks and sounds as aggressive as the MT-01 doesn't exactly sneak under the radar.

Speaking of vibration, at idle the bar ends wiggle, the front turn signals do their own little boogie and you can feel every massive power pulse from each 835 cc cylinder. Crack a little throttle and everything settles down.

For such an outrageous looking motorcycle, the MT-01 is amazingly refined. The clutch is smooth, the fuel injection is progressive and very well sorted out, with no lurches, glitches or flat spots. Just feed in the clutch and go.

The hind end felt a little choppy over frost heaves and pavement irregularities, so I took two clicks of compression damping out of the horizontally mounted, fully adjustable rear shock and it started behaving much better. The front suspension is likewise fully adjustable, but it felt fine so I left it alone — the point being that with some judicious fiddling, the MT will fit anyone's requirements for all conditions.

At 240 kg, the MT-01 is almost 70 kg heavier than a Yammer R1, so it's not going to equal a pure sportbike for cornering prowess, but the rigid chassis and excellent suspension makes it steer precisely. Once committed to a corner, it holds its line with little effort.

In short, it's a blast to ride through the twisties, especially with that awesome mid-range catapulting you from turn to turn.

Tired of rowing up and down through gearboxes? Growing weary of wringing the necks of torqueless, soulless, four-cylinder wonders? Give the MT-01 a serious look.

Nothing this side of the cruiser world has an engine this big.

Throw in state-of-the-art suspension and brakes, minimalist styling and you've got a unique ride that'll put a smile on your face for years to come.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.