Scorpion Helmets

veefer
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Scorpion Helmets

#1 Unread post by veefer »

For those of you that may be shopping for a helmet, you may want to add the Scorpion EXO700 to your list.
I've always worn Arai Quantum helmets in the past, but since Arai's new sales policy which does not allow for internet sales (this means higher non-discounted prices for you and me) I decided to look for something new.
I started with HJC, KBC, Nolan, Icon, etc. However, none of these helmets even came close to the comfort of my beloved Arai helmets.
Then I saw an ad for Scorpion helmets in a moto mag and I went on the search.
The Scorpion line of helmets are new enough that they were a problem to find. Then on a motorcycle forum I belong to (www.vfrdiscussion.com) a Scorpion rep showed up to answer questions for the forum members.
As luck would have it, she was a rep for my home state of Indiana and with her help, my local Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki dealer became a dealer for the Scorpion line of helmets.
My dealer (North End Cycle in Elkhart, IN) ordered a sample for me to try. The fit is as close to the comfort of my Arai as I've found and the helmet's finish is excellent. I ordered the EXO700 Raider in black/silver.
The faceshields for the Scorpions are advertised as fog free, and I can verify that they do work as advertised. The helmet has a wicking, removeable, machine washable liner. The helmet also meets DOT and Snell certifications. All this for for around $200.00!!
Needless to say, I am extremely plesaed with the purchase...go try one on for yourself.
Dave
1992 VFR750F
2003 ST1300
Elkhart, IN
"We are the ones our parents warned us about"
--Jimmy Buffett

V4underme
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by V4underme »

I'm also going to give my early endorsement to these new Scorpion helmets. I researched for a long time and read as many helemt reviews and comparisons as I could find. The current issue of Rider magazine has a review of helmets based on price ranges and the Scorpion (the EXO 700, $179) finished a very close second to a Schuberth (well over $300), and beat the Shoei and Arai. Of course the judgements were subjective, all reviews are.

Personally, I was lucky enough to have a dealer in town that carries the line, and they had two EXO 400's in stock. At $129, the 400 is hard to beat. Tried it on and loved it, very snug but not like an eye-popping vise. When you pick up an inexpensive helmet you know it, it just has a "cheaper" feel to it. Visors not tight, vents don't feel solid, etc. But the Scorpion has the same feel as the Shoei and Suomy helmets the store had. Solid, excellent fit and finish, nothing loose or cheap feeling. The Scorpion stuck out like a sore thumb amidst all the helmets in the same price range.

So now I have two Scorpion EXO 400's, one for me and one for the wife. Like the 700, the 400 passes every official helmet test around, including (I'm 99% sure) the new Snell 2005, or so I'm told.

Try one on. For well under $200 you can have a top quality lid. And by the way, Scorpion's claim of a visor that won't fog up is true, at least so far.

clueless
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#3 Unread post by clueless »

Mine is backordered. I wanted the 700 matte black. Can't wait!! :(

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum

#4 Unread post by keysman »

Here is the link to the Scorpion Sports website.

http://www.scorpionusa.com/
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

red66stang
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by red66stang »

What are the differences between the 700 and 400? I've tried a few on at a local dealer but don't know if they were the 400 or 700. I've been wanting a new helmet for a bit and think I'm going to go with the scorpion.
'66 Ford Mustang
'02 Suzuki Bandit 600
'80 Honda CM400E
'82 Honda CB650 Nighthawk

keysman

#6 Unread post by keysman »

A quick jump over to the Scorpion website will clear that up for you.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

red66stang
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by red66stang »

I was there last night, only thing I saw was the shell material. Is the venting and everything else the same besides that?
'66 Ford Mustang
'02 Suzuki Bandit 600
'80 Honda CM400E

clueless
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#8 Unread post by clueless »

I got mine EVO700 Matte Black last week. It's the greatest thing. NO FOG! A little too quiet for me, but I can get use to that.

red66stang
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by red66stang »

I bought an exo-700... It's a huge step up from the zamp helmet I was using. Fits great, never fogs (though my glasses do) and is pretty quiet. The venting works very well for me too, though I've never had a good venting helmet to compare it to.
'66 Ford Mustang
'02 Suzuki Bandit 600
'80 Honda CM400E

vadergrd
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#10 Unread post by vadergrd »

great helmets at great prices...but how about shiping 2 europe ...how much whould it cost?(romania!)