Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

Motorcycle Spotlight - 2005 BMW R1200ST

#1 Unread post by keysman »

Motorcycle Spotlight
2005 BMW R1200ST

This is the new 2005 BMW R1200ST

I was out at my local BMW dealer this past weekend and they had the new BMW out on the lot and I had my camera to snap some shots. I also threw a leg over and got a feel for what this bike is like. It was a more forward position than my bike so more like a sport bike but still quite comfortable. The dealer also had the new R1200RT on the lot and you could see a lot of similarities between the two bikes. I have added more images to the BMW Gallery have a look at them and then let us know what you think.

Pic 1 | Pic 2 | Pic 3 | Pic 4

Here is some information from BMW about this new bike.

The R 1200 ST replaces the R 1150 RS, the last version of the legendary motorcycle that started the modern Boxer era in model year 1994. It uses new engine and chassis technologies derived from the award-winning R 1200 GS introduced last year. The R 1200 ST have been designed for dramatically reduced weight compared to the preceding models as well as an impressive boost in maximum power from the all-new 1170cc, four-valve-per-cylinder Boxer twin.

The new Boxer engine produces 110 hp, 15 hp more than the outgoing R 1150 RT's -- and even 10 hp more than the R 1200 GS's engine -- while retaining a broad, flat torque curve. The R 1200 ST undercuts the R 1150 RS by an amazing 55 pounds.

2005 BMW R1200ST Pricing
MSRP $14,990 without ABS (includes $350 destination)

Options Pricing
$125 - Chrome Exhaust
$200 - Heated Hand Grips
$210 - Anti Theft Alarm
$110 - Center Stand
$995 - ABS Partial Integral
$125 - Luggage Grid (?)

If you want to learn more about this bike here are a couple of links you can check out.

BMW Site | Press Release
Last edited by keysman on Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:41 am, edited 8 times in total.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

keysman

#2 Unread post by keysman »

I'm still a little luke warm about this new bike from BMW. Those headlights are pretty funky. I liked it more in person than I did when I first saw the photos online. The seating position was nice and it seemed comfortable. You could raise the windshield by hand into three different positions. Of course it doesn't raise and lower at the touch of a button like the RT but then again that's one less thing to break right? The clip-ons are a little different than your typical sport bike but this bike isn't really a sport bike. It didn't seem all that lightweight to me either when I tossed my leg over and leaned it left to right but it's really not that bad at 505 lbs wet. This one is the Light Magnesium / Granite Gray Metallic combo and BMW has introduced some more exciting color combos.

liablemtl
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 29
My Motorcycle: 2002 Yamaha FZ1

#3 Unread post by liablemtl »

I think it may be the sexiest beemer yet. The numbers aren't terribly impressive for the money... but I venture to say that most people ain't buyin' a beemer for the performance. That said, had I the money... one would be sittin' in my garage after I grew tired of the FJR1300 and the Ducati ST3.
We're the first ones to starve
We're the first ones to die
The first ones in line for that pie in the sky
But we're always the last
When the gravy's shared out
For the worker is working when the fat cat's about

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#4 Unread post by High_Side »

keysman wrote:I'm still a little luke warm about this new bike from BMW. Those headlights are pretty funky..............This one is the Light Magnesium / Granite Gray Metallic combo and BMW has introduced some more exciting color combos.
I'll agree that when Mike and I came across the first one in the flesh it looked better than online pics, but thats cause we approached it from the rear :laughing: That Fairing/headlight disaster is the most hillarious thing BMW has done since the Avantegaurd.....and that even includes the Rockster..... :laughing:

pyropig
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by pyropig »

I personally think that the new ST is bad A$$ in person, it actually has pretty good performance #s too, If you have a chance take one out for a spin, it'll ruin you, nothing else will feel quite the same ever again :)
Always Keepin the shiny side up and the rubber side down

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by TechTMW »

pyropig wrote:I personally think that the new ST is bad A$$ in person, it actually has pretty good performance #s too, If you have a chance take one out for a spin, it'll ruin you, nothing else will feel quite the same ever again :)
Are you trying to make the sales staff !? :laughing:

I'm Lukewarm about the New ST as I am about most bikes. There are very few that I hate the looks of (BMW cruiser w/ fairing looks hideous IMO, as does the HD Electra Glide) But there are very few bikes that I love the looks of as well.

I like that fact that it's still only semi-faired, but the front end does take some getting used to :wink:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by Scott58 »

Kind of RoboCop looking.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#8 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Not a very nice looking front end there.

Perhaps it IS possible to get used to it, but then BMW do make some of the more questionable looking bikes in the market place.

The designer must get 'HIGH' then hit the drawing board & somehow convince the rest of management it's a masterpiece.

It may be 'ART' but it aint pretty!

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by emperorjordan »

I think its hot. But then again, I am lover beamers!

Hey keysman..... what dealer is that? I have been trying to find a BMW dealer in SoCal and I havent liked any of them (and only one had more than 5 bikes). I know its probably a pretty far drive, but I want to see more BMWs in person. I am in Santa Barbara, by the way. 8)
-2005 Suzuki DRZ-400S (The Fast Color).
- FMF Power Core 4
- 3x3" Air Box Mod, DynoJet Kit
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

keysman

#10 Unread post by keysman »

Check out

A&S BMW in Roseville, CA and
Cycle Specialties BMW in Modesto, CA