1800 VTX/1800 M 109 R

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#21 Unread post by High_Side »

I'll chime in my $.02 on magazines. He who gets the exclusive on a new model writes a glowing review. It's only in the comparo a few issues later that you hear about the bad stuff...
As for these cruisers, I would hold out for the M109 or possibly the Nite-Rod Harley. The 109 has to be one of the best looking big cruisers out there (an opinion not shared with Mrs. HighSide and Mrs Totalmotorcycle at the bike show :roll: ) and I hope they made it handle and perform ALOT better than the old 1500 Intruder *coughSLUGcough*. For the price they are asking for them however, there is not a big jump to the Hardley. I would seriously look at the NiteRod if I was going to go this route. Whether or not you are anti-Harley is up to you....

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#22 Unread post by ZooTech »

grampi wrote:
ZooTech wrote:
grampi wrote:I am curious as to why I can't find a single magazine with a test of the 109. I must have thumbed through 15 different MC mags today and other than brief mentions of the bike, nothing. You'd think the mags would be dying to get their hands on one and Suzuki should more than glad to give them one to test!
I have a mag around here somewhere with a review, but it was a prototype. I'll try to find it later (leaving for the movies soon). They gave it a glowing review.
Cool! I'm curious to see the performance figures for the 109.
Well, I tore around the house a bit before remembering what I did with that issue...I gave it to my bro-in-law who's seriously considering buying one in the Spring. It was either Motorcyclist, CycleWorld, or Rider (I subscribe to all three).

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#23 Unread post by grampi »

High_Side wrote:I'll chime in my $.02 on magazines. He who gets the exclusive on a new model writes a glowing review. It's only in the comparo a few issues later that you hear about the bad stuff...
As for these cruisers, I would hold out for the M109 or possibly the Nite-Rod Harley. The 109 has to be one of the best looking big cruisers out there (an opinion not shared with Mrs. HighSide and Mrs Totalmotorcycle at the bike show :roll: ) and I hope they made it handle and perform ALOT better than the old 1500 Intruder *coughSLUGcough*. For the price they are asking for them however, there is not a big jump to the Hardley. I would seriously look at the NiteRod if I was going to go this route. Whether or not you are anti-Harley is up to you....
As mentioned before, the V-Rod (or Nightrod) is simply to small to be considered among the big bore cruisers. Personally, I think the V-Rod is more comparable to the V-Max, and we all know the V-Max will kick the V-Rod's butt in every catagory.
Last edited by grampi on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#24 Unread post by grampi »

ZooTech wrote:
grampi wrote:
ZooTech wrote:
grampi wrote:I am curious as to why I can't find a single magazine with a test of the 109. I must have thumbed through 15 different MC mags today and other than brief mentions of the bike, nothing. You'd think the mags would be dying to get their hands on one and Suzuki should more than glad to give them one to test!
I have a mag around here somewhere with a review, but it was a prototype. I'll try to find it later (leaving for the movies soon). They gave it a glowing review.
Cool! I'm curious to see the performance figures for the 109.
Well, I tore around the house a bit before remembering what I did with that issue...I gave it to my bro-in-law who's seriously considering buying one in the Spring. It was either Motorcyclist, CycleWorld, or Rider (I subscribe to all three).
Any way you could call your bro-in-law to see if he can give you the specs? I'm really curious to find out.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#25 Unread post by ZooTech »

I may be able to hook up with him today or tomorrow. If I get ahold of the magazine I'll let ya know.

High_Side

#26 Unread post by High_Side »

grampi wrote:As mentioned before, the V-Rod (or Nightrod) is simply to small to be considered among the big bore cruisers. Personally, I think the V-Rod is more comparable to the V-Max, and we all know the V-Max will kick the V-Rod's butt in every catagory.
With 4 cylinders I would hope so. Sorry, I missed where the V-Rod was mentioned eaerlier in this thread....in fact I still can't find it....
Here is an interesting read on "sort-of" related bikes:
http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/supercruisers/

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000

#27 Unread post by ZooTech »

High_Side wrote:Here is an interesting read on "sort-of" related bikes:
http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/supercruisers/
Here's a good one, too:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_P ... 221&Page=1

The V-Rod clearly fits the bill but, unfortunately, it doesn't fit me or anyone else of average height or better.

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#28 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

grampi wrote:we all know the V-Max will kick the V-Rod's butt in every catagory.
Except LOOKS! :P

Anyway, it depends on who's riding what to know how that race would turn out in the REAL world.

High_Side

#29 Unread post by High_Side »

ZooTech wrote: The V-Rod clearly fits the bill but, unfortunately, it doesn't fit me or anyone else of average height or better.
I agree that the riding position is completely wrong, but when I sat on the new Night-Rod it felt really good. They've moved the pegs back and for whatever reason it even felt more comfortable than the new Street-Rod. After saying all of this however, my next bike will be a V-Strom. Ugly but practical. :laughing:

grampi
Veteran
Veteran

#30 Unread post by grampi »

CentralOzzy wrote:
grampi wrote:we all know the V-Max will kick the V-Rod's butt in every catagory.
Except LOOKS! :P

Anyway, it depends on who's riding what to know how that race would turn out in the REAL world.
That's not subjective at all :laughing: