1998 HD FLHTCUI Bagger(never thought I'd ever own one)

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

1998 HD FLHTCUI Bagger(never thought I'd ever own one)

#1 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

I recently purchased this bike used (only 2384 miles on it. One owner who was 76 yo and immmaculately kept) and it dragged me kicking and screaming into the modern technology of modern ages. I am not even talking about the space command station of the consol with all its buttons and gadgets etc...

I was wondering if anyone out there has anything to say about the EFI system on it. Dependable?

I have read a reader/rider review but was a little suspect of it because the bike was loaned to him from the company HQ's.

http://www.ballpoint.com/ultra.html

I am use to carburators. Amal Concentric,Keihnen,S&S and Zenith Bendix's.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: 1998 HD FLHTCUI Bagger(never thought I'd ever own one)

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

badinfluence63 wrote:I was wondering if anyone out there has anything to say about the EFI system on it. Dependable?
Yes. I was a died-in-the-wool carb fan until I got my first Harley with EFI, an '06 Super Glide. My '07 Road Glide came with EFI and I wouldn't have it any other way. Starts first try every time, no backfires on deceleration, smooth power delivery on acceleration.

Granted, the closed-loop system on the newer Harleys are different from the first generation systems like on your '98 model, but the end result is the same - it works and it works well.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

badinfluence63
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: '98Ultra w/sc '01 Ultra and 1983FLHS

#3 Unread post by badinfluence63 »

Gummiente,

Thanks for the inside info on the EFI. Lotta my old timer friends (older then me) are poo pooing the EFI as being unreliable but they don't have reasons why. I suspect as I am its just being suspcious of newer technology.

I like hearing what your saying abouit the EFI. I appreciate the input. Thanks again, I feel encouraged about it.

crazy5dave
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by crazy5dave »

there is absolutely nothing wrong with HD EFI. old times are just upset they cant get a screwdriver out and start Fing it up like a carb. old timers dont like computers either, so this puts them off. EFI workers so much betters then carbs.
2007 Buell XB12Ss