Newb GS rider in NC

lefty5150
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Newb GS rider in NC

#1 Unread post by lefty5150 »

Greetings from somewhat sunny NC,
Been lurking on here for a while and decided to go ahead and throw my name in the hat. I'm 52 and this is only my 2nd bike, the first being a Honda VT500. great little starter bike but after a year I quickly outgrew it.
I have 2 older brothers that have ridden since they were teens. mostly euro bikes, moto guzzis, ducs, BMW, triumphs. But me being the oddball I have always been a fan of japanese bikes. fast, affordable and easy to get parts for.Call me old fashioned, but waiting 8 weeks for a factory recalled clutch (guzzi) isn't my cup of tea.
after selling the VT500 for $1200, I thought there is no way I could find a roadworthy bike for that kind of money, so I was just going to save my money, work on getting my credit straightened out and take the payment plunge on a brand new blinged out whatever. (that seemed to change on a daily basis) about a month ago I'm looking at the bike ads on craigslist and lo and behold, here's a 82 GS 650 G with 28K for $500 :shock:
The bike looked awesome, new tires new paint job, so I thought whats the catch? The owner said he tried to put a headlight on it and now it won't start. no lights, horn, nothing. "probably something in the wiring"
$500 eh? I promptly called him and said I'll be right there with my truck.
The owner said he didn't know anything about fixing bikes and just didn't want to mess with it. Well 5 minutes after I got it home I had it running.
just some bad connections in the spaghetti wad of wires in the headlight bucket. cost me 1.98 for some shrink wrap to fix the problem.
this is the best deal I have ever came across bar none. someone had put some alot of work into this bike, brand new maxxis tires, new battery, BRAND NEW cluch discc, springs and basket, all new cables, brake pads, and the rotors sure don't look like they're 26 yrs old.
Anyway, I been having a blast on this thing. it runs like a scolded dog and gets 45 mpg. shaft drive, dual discs on the front and one in back.
just wondering if there are any other GS riders out there that know what I'm talking about. Sorry about the long winded post, triple strength columbian coffee is doin its job I reckon.

1982 Suzuki 650 G

Fast Eddy B
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: 02 Fazer FZS600

#2 Unread post by Fast Eddy B »

:welcome:
02 Fazer 600

Scoutmedic
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Gold Wing

#3 Unread post by Scoutmedic »

:welcome5:

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by Apollofrost »

Welcome to the forums
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

CORSCO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by CORSCO »

I don't know where in NC you are but Triangle Cycles in Durham does a motorcycle ride every Tuesday (sport) and Thursday (cruiser) at 6 pm. If you are in the area, stop by.
CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE REGULARLY!!!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Welcome, lefty. You are one lucky son of a gun to have found that bike. :)

Enjoy yourself here in our community. Pour yourself another cup of coffee and settle in.....there's lots of reading to do. :mrgreen:

lefty5150
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by lefty5150 »

Hey Thanks for the tip CORSCO . I'm only 35 miles from Durham. I would be coming in on 751 to fayetteville rd. I'm sort of familiar with the streets as I used to drive a quad axle dump right thru the heart of downtown several times a day, 27 stoplights each way with a 10 spd. my left knee still hurts!!!
if you can give me a street name I could google map it. I think tuesdays would be good for me, its a "standard" bike but its got an inline 4. Besides I'm fresh out of do rags and black leather vests :laughing:

CORSCO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#8 Unread post by CORSCO »

Triangle Cycles address...4503 Chapel Hill Blvd. Durham...27707. Off 15-501. 3 miles from I-40 Ext.170 towards Durham. Come back to service and say hi. By the way, I still have my 1983 VT500FT Ascot!
CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE REGULARLY!!!